CEO - Philip Williams - Prior to joining SYP in July of 2016, Phil spent 28 years within public services as a senior Detective with the Police Service. He has worked within the areas of Child Protection and Drug units within the Police Force and then moved onto leading senior management teams within the Education domain. Phil is a qualified teacher and has been a University Lecturer within the education faculty of Canterbury Christchurch University.
- COO - Sarah Lake joined Shaftesbury in February 2016 after 15 years working in Banking and Financial Services. Sarah brings with her a diverse range of skills from the commercial sector and enjoys getting involved in all aspects of an organisation. After graduating with a First Class degree in English Literature Sarah trained as an accountant and auditor with PwC, subsequently moving to Close Brothers plc where she held a number of senior Financial Control and Finance System roles. Sarah has a track record of delivering finance improvement projects and has led project teams drawn from Finance, IT, HR, Payroll and Procurement.
- Finance Manager – Godfrey Bwalya is a qualified Accountant with more than 20 years experience in charity finance. He has worked for SYP for 15 years. Prior to SYP, he worked for Disabled Living Foundation (DLF) as a Management Accountant for 3 years after working at Caxton House Community Centre for 4 years. He also had a 2 year stint in accountancy practice before joining the voluntary sector. Godfrey is a Fellow of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and holds a bachelors degree in Accountancy.
- Office Manager - Tracey joined the West Midlands Police on leaving school as a junior typist/secretary. After 9 interesting years in various departments, Tracey moved to London in 1987. She has worked for several organisations as a Personal Assistant, namely Martin Hamblin GfK, & Network Rail. More recently before joining SYP, Tracey was a Private Secretary at the Transport & General Workers Union. Tracey holds a BEC National Diploma in Business Studies attained from Garrett’s Green Technical College.
- HR Manager - Karin Boulden has been with SYP for 10 years, prior to this Karin worked as a Personnel Manager for Sainsbury’s and therefore has 16 years of Human Resourcing experience. Prior to working in HR Karin took 5 years out to bring up her 2 children who are now both adults. In the 10 years Karin has been with Shaftesbury there have been a lot of changes, in which bring a lot of excitement about the direction SYP are going and highlight the amazing work that has already been done and continue to do with the Young People SYP support.
- Digital Communications Manager - Elle Gingell has a passion for communication and Social Media. Elle has worked closely with social networking, both personally and a on professional level. Elle completed a Sociology and Media Studies Joint Honours Degree at the University of Brighton, researching Facebook Profiles. During her time at University, Elle also took an interest in volunteering for both Child Reach International and the RSPCA. Elle always wanted to help give disadvantaged young people the opportunities most people take for granted. Finding her dream job at Shaftesbury Young People in January 2016.
- External Affairs Manager - Dr. Mariya Ali’s started her career in Unit for the Rights of Children in 1992 in the Maldives. Prior to joining Shaftesbury Young People she held posts including the Deputy Minister for Health and Family in the Maldives from 2009-2011, Under Secretary of the Policy Office of the President in 2011-2012, and Advisory board member of the International Child Redress Project since 2015. Dr Ali played an instrumental role in establishing South Asia Initiative to Ending Violence Against Children (SAIEVAC) into a permanent regional institution in 2011. She publishes academic works as a Honorary Knowledge Exchange Associate of Oxford Brookes University’s School of Law.
- Fundraising Administrator - Marta Jiménez Varela completed her Master’s Degree in Economics and Development at the University of Seville (Spain) in 2015, she also collaborated as Research Assistant for the Department of Economic Analysis. Marta graduated with a First Class Honours and was awarded 'Outstanding Graduate of the Year'. Marta came to the UK in November 2015 to develop a six-month internship for a financial company. She has always been determined to make a difference for those in need and further her career within the non-for-profit sector. She finally found her opportunity with Shaftesbury Young People in September 2016.
Teacher in Charge at Stoke - Rebecca Butterfield-Davis - graduated in 2006 with a degree in Applied Social Studies and Sociology, before completing her PGCE in 2009 as a qualified Primary School Teacher. She has been Teacher in Charge of the Stoke Education Team since 2010, working closely with Stoke’s Virtual Head to improve the outcomes of Children in Care in Stoke. She has been a key facilitator of projects such as the Empowerment Project for young women and the White Water’s Project with Keele University. After becoming a mum for the first time, Rebecca spent a year away from the team to spend with her daughter, described as her “Greatest achievement”. She returned in 2015 to continue building a strong, caring and effective team to provide the best educational support in the city, something she is very proud of.
Head of Centre AVC - Stephen Parrott - has recently moved on from a 24 year career within the Armed Forces .A career that has allowed Stephen to gain a vast amount of experience in a variety of settings and challenging situations. Stephen has been a Physical training instructor, Close protection operative, Recruiting and outreach Team leader, Logistics manager, facilities manager and in his final years with the military he was the Welfare Officer in charge of over 600 Soldiers and there families welfare. The role also included managing wounded and sick personnel back to full fitness or to alternative employment in civilian life. Stephen is a qualified Health and safety advisor and has worked for a large Building company advising on Health and safety matters Stephen enjoys Triathlon training and brings to the AVC a vast amount of experience in activities designed to promote creative learning through the great outdoors.
-Head of Centre – The Keresley Centre – Cheryl Moulsdale - qualified as Education Management and Leadership with subject specialists in English. Cheryl has previously worked in specialist schools for all age groups, Universities, FE Colleges, Extreme education settings and young offenders’ institutes. Private Business Ventures - Overseas projects involved school developments, supportive housing, education and welfare. Business Ventures closer to home – private schools, nursing establishments, hospitality businesses, work related housing, supporting vulnerable young people and adults, voluntary work with the women’s refuge, and so much more. The Keresley Centre is a welcoming safe environment and a school which is progressing and developing. Cheryl heads up a strong team of teaching staff delivering a successful education programme.